Friday, February 1, 2019

Excerpt from Unholy Embrace - - A Meeting with the Vampire in Central Park

Frank finds out that walking in Central Park at night can be dangerous.
In the hours after midnight during the week, there were few people on the street. My main concern was the police stopping me for an extended interrogation while I tried to convince them that I was a harmless but eccentric person who walked late at night in a dangerous area. The three-quarter moon on a cloudless night made it difficult for anyone to sneak up on me. I walked into the park at Eighty-Second Street but decided this was a foolish risk. I turned around and found Viscount D’Alessio standing ten feet in front of me. The hairs on the back of my neck rose. My body froze, and my heart beat against my chest.
“Fancy meeting you here.” His malicious smile made me shiver.
“What do you want?” My voice cracked. I felt perspiration forming on my forehead.
“An opportunity to chat with you, become better acquainted.” His smile widened, making his teeth more obvious, as he stepped toward me. I looked around and saw no one. I turned and ran, but I hadn’t gone ten strides when I found him in front of me.
“Running won’t do any good, and your precious little tart isn’t here to rescue you.” Before I could take a step, he grabbed my throat and lifted me off the ground. “It’s time to have the dinner I promised myself the last time we met.”
As the viscount started to pull me into the bushes, a voice shouted, “Stop! Police!  Remain where you are.”
A large man walked toward us. He held a police shield in his left hand. With his right, he pointed a pistol at us.
“What a bother.” The viscount tossed me into the bushes. “I’ll take care of you next. Make a move and your death will be slow and excruciating.” He raised his hands as he walked toward the officer.
“I told you to stop. If you take another step, I’ll fire.”
Stunned and scratched but not hurt, I pulled myself out of the bush and stayed out of the line of fire.
“Dinner for two will just be fine,” the viscount muttered. He moved forward, ignoring the pistol pointed at him.
The officer fired a shot at the vampire, but it had no effect.

“Fool,” the viscount said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment