Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Unholy Embrace - Vampire Novel. An immortal vampire makes a mortal man an offer he can refuse.


An immortal vampire makes a mortal man an offer he can refuse.

“If you love me, I can offer you a way to spend eternity with me. You would be a formidable foe for anyone.”
I blinked, digesting the offer Nessa had just made. She was playing to my fascination with eternal life. I turned and walked to the living room window, watching the city below, thinking about living through the centuries and experiencing future times I wouldn’t naturally know. Closing my eyes, I imagined a world in which we would always be together. But a dark vision crossed my mind, knowing I would never see the light of day again. I couldn’t give up my humanity to become a vampire. I walked back to Nessa and took her hands in mine.
“I need to think about what you offered.” I had to consider what it meant to commit myself to a vampire. I couldn’t base my decision solely on my passion for her.
Nessa watched me, looking for clues to the emotions I hadn’t expressed. “Our feelings for each other are real, but I understand what you are telling me. Do what you must.” Her mouth closed, and her eyes turned downward.
             I left her apartment and was walking beside Central Park within ten minutes. If I took too long to decide, our relationship would end.   Nessa’s loneliness had spanned more time than I could comprehend. She’d chosen me, perhaps impulsively, but now I knew how much I meant to her.
            When I looked at my watch, I saw that five hours remained until dawn. For once in my life, I decided to go where my heart led. I walked south until I hailed a cab, and in a few minutes I was back at her apartment. Time is not measured in minutes or hours but by the way in which we experience our lives. As I stood in front of her door, I knew my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment